Heart Valve Design & Features
Why Use Another Mechanical Valve When...
No Other Mechanical Valve Has:
- 90° leaflets:1 promotes laminar flow
- Pure pyrolytic carbon: reduces thrombogenicity2
- Flared inlet: organizes flow; prevents pannus
Leaflet Opening Comparisons
On-X Aortic Heart Valve
On-X Aortic Valves have leaflets that can open 90º to promote better laminar flow.
On-X Aortic Valves have a smoother surface5 on the entire body and leaflets to reduce thrombogenicity.2
Complete Annulus Support
On-X Aortic Valves have a flared inlet designed to prevent pannus and conceal pledgets.
All Other Bileaflet Aortic Heart Valves
All other bileaflet aortic valves have leaflets that can only open 78º to 85º.3,4
All other bileaflet aortic valves have rougher surfaces5 that are more thrombogenic.2
Incomplete Annulus Support
All other bileaflet aortic valves have an unprotected inlet design that allows for pannus and exposes pledgets.
- On-X Prosthetic Heart Valve Instructions for Use.
- LaGrange L et al., Compatibility of carbon and blood. Hegyeli RJ, Editor, Proceedings, Artificial Heart Program Conference, Washington, DC, June 9-13, 1969, 47-58.
- Medtronic Open Pivot Heart Valve Instructions for Use.
- Kandemir O et al., St. Jude Medical and Carbomedics mechanical heart valves in the aortic position comparison of long term results. Tex Heart Inst J. 2006; 33: 154–159.
- More R and Haubold A. Surface chemistry and surface roughness of clinical pyrocarbons. Cell Mater. 1996;6: 273-79.
Like to Know More?
Speak with a clinical consultant:
For Patient, Technical, and General Inquiries